Surf Life Saving SA is excited to announce the launch of the SLSSA Surf Sport Youth Performance Academy Program.
In April this year SLSSA and Flinders did an extensive review of the SLSSA High Performance Academy, which has been running for the past two seasons. It was decided to make changes to the Academy’s focus for the betterment of Surf Sports in South Australia.
Surf Life Saving SA in conjunction with Flinders University has identified the youth age group as a key target group moving forward to grow and develop athletes across the Surf Sport Disciplines.
Athletes will be provided with the opportunity to participate in the ‘Academy’ with the primary aim of attaining the conditioning, skills and knowledge to improve performances on a national stage. The program will include providing support to enhance not only the athlete’s daily training environment but also include components such as:
· Nutrition and hydration
· Sport Psychology Sessions & Focus Groups
· All aspects of recovery
· Potentially access to support services to ensure athletes maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
· Planning training, post training, post racing, warm ups etc,
· Video analysis.
· Testing and measuring performance.
· Off Season Training Program
Flinders University is well placed to facilitate some of these initiatives as well as specific training opportunities. Board, iron and beach training programs would complement this via ‘outreach’ projects using a variety of coaches.
The criteria for selection in the 2017/18 SLSSA Youth Performance Academy Program can be seen below. To be be considered for selection athletes must:
· Be a financial member of a SA club with comp rights at an SA club
· Be in one of the following competition age categoriesUnder 14, Under 15 or Under 17 (first year) for the 2017/18 season
· Have placed top 3 in any individual event at state championships in 2017
· Performed at Australian Championships over the past two years (Under 17s)
· Have consistent attendance at carnivals in 2016/17
· Be planning to attend the 2018 Aussies
· Be planning to attend the 2017 Pool Rescue State Championships and Australian Champs (unless they are a beach competitor)
· Be available for at least 80 percent of sessions (sessions are held on average once every ten days)
· Be available for selection ofthe 2018 Interstates OR Development Team
· Answer a range of questions determined by SLSSA and Flinders University that form part of the application process
Athletes in the program must continue to train and perform at the appropriate level in relevant State and National competitions unless injured or otherwise incapacitated for short periods.
Applications are now open via Survey Monkey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/performanceacademy , hard copies of the application are available upon request.
Application close Monday 12thJune 5pm, and the Academy participants will be announced on Monday 19th June.
The Selection Group will consist of the following composition:
- SLSSA Surf Sports Advisory Chair
-Academy Head Coaches