SLSSA is facilitating three (3) Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue (SMAR) courses, scheduled for:
- Course 1: Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 October 2016, Port Noarlunga SLSC
- Course 2: Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 November 2016, Port Noarlunga SLSC
- Course 3: Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 March 2017, TBC
As the name of the course implies, this course is about planning and performing complex aquatic and land-based searches and rescues, in the daytime and at night. The course includes developing a SMEAC plan, reading topographic maps/nautical charts, retrieving a submerged object, using search and rescue equipment (including FLIRs etc), jetty/pier and rock entries/jumps, working with and around the JRB/RWC, plus more. Please see the attached Course Syllabus.
This course is directed at Patrol Captains, club 24/7 Call Out personnel, experienced patrol/water cover members, Support Service personnel etc.
- Prerequisites for this course are:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Complete a 400 metre swim in 8 minutes or less in a swimming pool of no less than 25 metres long (this will need to be signed off by a Club approved Assessor)
- Hold and be proficient in the SLSA Bronze Medallion (proficient for the 2016/17 season) and hold the Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- Complete the eLearning prerequisite
The cost per participant will be $30, to partially cover food, drinks and resources.
If any Surf Life Saving Club members meet the above requirements, and wish to be part of this course, please encourage registration by clicking on either of the following links:
On registration, members will be sent an electronic version of the learner guide, and instructions on how to complete the online Search and Rescue module.