This course is now full. Please book into our next course on 4th/5th March
The Pool Lifeguard course (Skill set SISSS00111) aims to teach you emergency rescue techniques, swimming skills and basic spinal management techniques as well as the finer points of pool lifeguarding. Candidates of this program will receive comprehensive training in aquatic emergency care, emergency management, oxygen resuscitation and pool surveillance. Successful candidates will have the skills and knowledge required to supervise swimming pool users.
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid or HLTFA311A Apply First Aid — Copy of current certificate must be supplied. Your certificate will not be issued to you without a current First Aid certificate.
- Participants must be 16 years of age
Physical elements of the course:
- Retrieve an object from the deep parts of the pool (3-5m)
- Swim 25m, and then tow a patient back 25m in less than 1 minute and 45 seconds
- Swim 200m in less than 6 minutes
- General strength and fitness to tread water for extended periods of time
Candidates also need to read through a learner guide and complete an activity book prior to the course. This will be emailled through to you within a few days of your booking.
Methods of Delivery and Course Duration:
Full Pool Lifeguard Course: pre-course workbook, and 2 days of face-to-face delivery and assessment (9am - 5pm)
Update Pool Lifeguard Course: 1 day face-to-face delivery and assessment (9am - 5pm)
- The role of a Lifeguard
- Accident prevention
- Facility analysis and supervision
- Aquatic emergencies
- Lifeguarding skills and procedures
- Public relations and public education
- Swimming and leisure pool safety
- Lifeguarding and the Law
Units of Competency awarded in this course:
- PUAEME001B Provide Emergency Care
- PUAEME003C Administer Oxygen in an Emergency Situation
- SISCAQU002 Perform Basic Water Rescues
- SISCAQU006 Supervise Clients at an Aquatic Facility or Environment
- SISCAQU007 Perform Advanced Water Rescues
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment for the Nationally Accredited Pool Lifeguard Skill Set.
The Pool Lifeguard Award must be updated annually if used as a professional qualification.
- Full Pool Lifeguard Course: $190 per person, $145 for YMCA Employees, $120 for Surf Life Saving SA members.
- Update Course: $115 per person, $90 for YMCA Employees and Surf Life Saving SA members.
Price includes professional instruction, all course materials, and certification.